Investment Programmes

The main spending themes aim to: embed quality and improve reach; modernise infrastructure; and drive up activity in key service areas.

65% of the investment is directed to regional and local VCS activities. National initiatives, such as the six Hubs, take the remaining 35%.

Main Spending Programme Themes

Building blocks1: Embedding quality and improving reach

Key objective: To ensure frontline organisations have better access to high-quality support in the key areas of organisational need identified in ChangeUp:

  • Performance Improvement
  • Governance
  • Workforce Development
  • Volunteer Recruitment and Management
  • ICT
  • Income Generation

2: Modernising infrastructure

Key objective: Infrastructure services are configured to better meet the needs of users, are co-ordinated, delivered efficiently, and are more sustainable.

3: Driving up activity in key service areas

Key objective: Increased engagement of the voluntary and community sector in geographical areas of deprivation and priority public service areas, especially:

  • Older peoples’ health and social care services
  • Correctional services
  • Ethnic minority employment
  • Homeless hostel provision
  • Parenting support services

Investment Delivery Mechanisms

Investment is made at national, regional, sub-regional and local levels. The bulk of the investment goes through the regions to support regional, sub-regional and local initiatives benefiting organisations on the ground, thereby ensuring that it meets agreed objectives and helps achieve the outcomes set out in ChangeUp.

Main Programme Spend – £72m (04/05 and 05/06)

Local and regional initiatives

65% has been directed to regional and local activities which bring together VCS organisations to deliver support services dependant on local need. At the moment there are over 80 county and sub-regional consortia working together and every area of England is currently on target to be covered by an Infrastructure Development Plan.

National initiatives

35% of the money is enabling national projects to deliver support direct to frontline and local and regional support organisations. Examples of such projects are six national hubs of expertise:

  1. ICT
  2. Governance
  3. Finance
  4. Volunteering
  5. Workforce Development
  6. Performance Improvement

Also a cross-government Public Services Programme is underway and will target investment throughout Government to build capacity in the fields of older peoples’ health and social care, correctional services, ethnic minority employment, homeless hostel provision and parenting support.

ChangeUp investment supports schemes that are:

  • in England
  • within constituted bodies which are either charities, voluntary or community organisations, social enterprises or community interest companies
  • providing infrastructure/second tier support and development services to frontline organisations, their workers and trustees – i.e. schemes for the provision of direct services to members of the public will not be eligible.


Details of the Capacitybuilders Funding Programmes